Thursday, April 28, 2011

From fabulously fit to jello jigglers

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to plan on how to fit into my favorite jeans! Nor did I think I would try every trick in the book to do so! Squats, lotioning and oiling your legs, don't wash them for a while so that they are nice and streched out.. etc. Pregnancy has changed all of that!
I think as women it is sometimes hard not to conform to the standards that is world has set. We see women in magazines and on tv, modeling agencies scouting the malls and shops, stopping only the tallest, skinniest, and prettiest. So what do we do? We diet, change our hair, load on the make-up, and SQUEEZE our feet into the most uncomfortable high heeled, high fashion shoes.. just to fit a cookie-cutter mold. Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with those things in and of themselves... but lets be honest, how many of us are truly comfortable in that post baby state when the world is screaming.. "Look at this Hollywood mom!" "Lose your baby weight in 7 short days!" What they are really saying is, "If you have thousands of dollars and can afford a great lipo surgery or expensive trainer and don't mind starving yourself for 7 days, you too can look like this!"
Once again, though, I find myself ready those articles and copying down the greatest weight loss tips. Yes, I will be honest and say that I struggle with the way my body looks after having twins. I miss that perfectly fit 19 yr old girl, and am NOT happy with the "jello jigglers" that have replaced the 6-pack abs, and toned thighs. But reality is, I am not that 19 yr old girl anymore. I am a woman and with that comes some flab and hips that may not fit into those jeans anymore, or look super cute in that bikini... and that's ok. I am willing to go up a size if that is the "price" I have to pay for two beautiful little girls.
This does not mean that I won't have time of work out, nor does it mean that I will starve myself back to who I was. I will eat that funnel cake and those deep fried french toast with the knowledge that I can easily work it off later (even if its just by running up and down the steps to check on the munchkins!)
So here's to putting away the oil, ignoring the "perfect body" articles, buying a pant size bigger, and accepting that I am not a girl. I am a woman, a mother of twins, and I am beautiful just the way I am (jigglers and all!!)

2 comments: