Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice

As this night comes to a close, that hymn is on my mind. I quietly hummed it my sick baby as she fought sleep and continued to fuss in pain. I thought about the words and rejoiced that I have two wonderful children, despite the illnesses and little set backs. 
This past year has been a year full of surprises and ups and downs. Marriage, pregnancy, labor, first-time parent of two, etc. And yet I sit here and rejoice in the Lord always. Some people may find that odd, or even crazy. They look at professing Christians and cannot understand rejoicing in the midst of hard times. They cannot understand unconditional love. They cannot understand working at a marriage instead of giving up when times are tough. I pity them. I pity their inability to "rejoice in the Lord always!" 
This does not mean that there will not be times of sorrow. God did not say that this life would be easy. He did not say that there would be no hardships or that picking up His cross and following Him would mean fields of flowers and daisies, but He does want us to rejoice in Him, always!
I thought a lot about my grandma this week. I cried and wept at the fact that my daughters will not meet their great-grandma in this life, but Lord willing they will meet her in eternity. Knowing that, I can rejoice in the Lord!! 
So, dear readers, rejoice in the Lord always. Rejoice in the midst of sorrow. Rejoice in the midst of hardships. Rejoice in the midst of devastation. Rejoice in times of plenty. REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment